Math and English Prerequisites
Saddleback College is committed to helping students select appropriate level courses to provide the greatest chance for their academic success. Information relating to prerequisites, co-requisites, and recommended preparations are printed in bold as part of the course descriptions in the catalog and indicated with an asterisk (and by a "LOCK" symbol for prerequisite courses) next to the ticket number in the schedule of classes. Students are responsible for meeting and/or clearing all prerequisites for any course in which they plan to enroll in.
Students may take or have taken a course at another college that may be considered equivalent to the required prerequisite course at Saddleback College. If you wish to use an English or math course from another college to clear a prerequisite at Saddleback College you must submit an official or unofficial copy of your transcripts, AP exam scores or assessment scores from another community college to the Matriculation Office along with our Math and English Prerequisite Evaluation Form.
Accepted Alternative Evidence used to clear English Prerequisites:
- English assessment results with course placement from another community college.
- Official or unofficial copy of your transcript(s) showing courses taken in English at one or more colleges or universities and have received a passing (C or better) final grade in the course. High school English courses CANNOT be used.
- Completion of the College Board Advanced Placement (AP)® English Lit/Comp or Lang/Comp exam with a score of 3 or better. You must submit original College Board AP results with. AP results on college transcripts will not be accepted.
Accepted Alternative Evidence used to clear Math Prerequisites:
- Math assessment (MDTP Test ONLY) results with a raw score from another community college.
- Official or unofficial copy of your transcript(s) showing courses taken in Math at one or more colleges or universities and have received a passing (C or better) final grade in the course.
- Completion of the College Board Advanced Placement (AP)® math Calculus AB or BC exam with a score of 3 or better. You must submit original College Board AP results. AP results on college transcripts will not be accepted.
- A completed College Prerequisite Evaluation Form is required with all submissions.
- The Matriculation Office does not do On-The-Spot transcript evaluations. Transcript evaluation can take up to 5 business days to complete so please submit your request at least 2 weeks prior to your registration period.
- When a student's transcript evaluation is completed the results are posted on your My Site account. The Matriculation office cannot call or e-mail students with evaluation results.
- If you have submitted other college transcripts to Saddleback College they are not automatically evaluated by the Matriculation office. You are not required to re-submit the transcripts to the Matriculation office, however we do require the College Prerequisite Evaluation Form to be completed and faxed or dropped off at our office. Please check the box on the form that reads "Official transcripts were sent to Admissions and Records on..."
- Unofficial transcripts must include the student's name, the college name, and a completed course with a letter grade or a (CR) credit.
- Courses submitted for evaluation must be passed with a grade of C or better. C- grades are NOT accepted as a passing grade at Saddleback college.