New for 2012-13, federal regulations require parents and students who filed a 2012 federal tax return to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in FAFSA on the Web. This Tool allows you to retrieve and transfer your 2012 IRS income and tax information directly from the IRS website to your FAFSA on the Web. A student's financial aid application is not reviewed until this step is completed.
To fulfill this requirement, select one of the following two options:
Option 1: IRS Data Retrieval Tool (recommended)
Log in to the student's FAFSA record on www.fafsa.gov. Select "Make FAFSA Corrections" and proceed to the Financial Information section of the application. Complete the IRS Data Retrieval process to transfer 2012 IRS information into the student's FAFSA. Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for both the parent(s) and student (if filed).
Timeframe for IRS Data Retrieval requests:
- If you electronically filed your tax return, your income information will normally be available within two weeks through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- If you filed a paper tax return, your income information will normally be available through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in approximately 3 to 4 weeks.
Please note: the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is not available under the following circumstances: (the IRS Tax Return Transcript must be requested instead - see below)
- When the parents of a dependent student are married, but filed separately.
- When the parents of a dependent student changed marital status after the end of the tax year.When the parent or student file an amended tax return.
- When IRS Data Retrieval is used, but tax information is subsequently changed by the student or parent.
Option 2: IRS Tax Return Transcript (if you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool)
If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, a 2012 IRS tax return transcript is required. To obtain an IRS tax return transcript, visit www.irs.gov, click on "Order a Return or Account Transcript" link, or call 800-908-9946. Be sure to request the "IRS tax return transcript" and not the "IRS tax account transcript."